Wobbler Crime: Riding the Misdemeanor / Felony Line

Man Taking a Blood-Alcohol Test

Certain DUI Charges Can Be Tried as Either a Misdemeanor or Felony.

Do you know that some crimes can be charged as either a misdemeanor or a felony? It’s true and very scary. By law, many criminal misdemeanors sit on the cusp of felonies (and vice versa). The circumstances and people behind each of these offenses can greatly effect the outcome. Here’s a brief guide on this strange legal terminology, plus what it could mean for a loved one facing criminal charges.

What is a Wobbler Crime?

Believe it or not, wobbler offenses are actually fairly common. In fact, there are several types of crimes that can “wobble” the line between misdemeanor and felony charges, including:

  • Driving Under the Influence
  • Assault Charges
  • Grand Theft
  • Domestic Violence

So how do you know whether a crime will be prosecuted as a misdemeanor or a felony? It all depends on the circumstances surrounding the crime, as well as the inclinations of the case prosecutor. For instance, if a college student is arrested for the latest DUI in a history of DUI convictions, the prosecutor may opt to press felony charges. 

Can Felony Charges Be Dropped to Misdemeanors?

Of course, these crimes can wobble both ways. Prosecutors and judges both have the option to escalate or de-escalate a crime based on their opinion of the case. This can occur at several points during a case: including the preliminary hearing, sentencing, and even after probation.

Bail for a wobbler crime can go either way. The price on assault bail bonds, for instance, can vary greatly depending on the circumstances and outcome of each event. If you have a loved one that’s been arrested for a crime that tilts towards a felony charge, you may want to contact your local bail bondsman for assistance.

Call for Your Misdemeanor Bail Service?

Are you or your loved one in need of DUI bail bonds service in Indianapolis, IN? We’d be happy to help with your bail bond! Give our team a call today at 317-423-9300.